History

Junior Service League

In 1931, the Junior Service League was organized in Lansing. The organization differed from other women’s organizations in two major respects. First, it was dedicated to promoting voluntarism beyond its own structured borders by training and educating its members to work independently. This was accomplished through training and service. Secondly, the Junior Service League sought involvement in a variety of projects, aiming to meet the broad and timely needs of the community as well as offering enrichment to the Lansing citizenry. 

Junior League of Lansing

In 1948 the Junior Service League became the Junior League of Lansing as a member of the Association of Junior Leagues International, as it is known today. AJLI began in 1901. The purpose of the Association was to unite the member Leagues and to promote their individual purposes by offering leadership and assistance, while seeing that each League remained self-directed. 

Committed to the Community

The Junior League of Lansing, together with its predecessor, the Junior Service League, has been an outstanding volunteer organization for the greater Lansing area. Members have initiated, developed and assisted in programs and activities to meet the needs of the child, the aged and the deprived. As JLL moves forward, the organization is to be recognized for its continuing and vital role in the life of the community of greater Lansing and its promise for future service and commitment.