Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Junior League of Lansing!
Developing the Potential of our Members
We are proud to say that our members are not only leaders in the nonprofit sector but are also making a difference in the professional and business realm. Junior League members are attorneys, elected officials, business owners, presidents of companies, realtors, mothers and professional volunteers. The training our members receive while participating in JLL activities is a vital part of preparing these women to be leaders of distinction in our community.
I invite you to help carry on the tradition and mission of the Junior League of Lansing by becoming a member. Together we will build a better Lansing community.
New Member Training Passport
Junior League of Lansing accepts new members on a rolling basis. Each new member is required to complete a passport. Individuals have until the September following when you joined to complete your passport. A suggested timeframe will be provided when a new member joins, but the tasks can be completed in a flexible manner. Once completed, new members will meet with their advisor to answer any questions. Then, the Board of Directors will move to approve each new member who has completed the passport thusly transitioning them to active member status. Finally, each newly active member will be placed on a committee and will be able to vote during meetings.
Passports will be provided once a new member has submitted their application and paid their membership fee.
Finally, all New Members are asked to submit JLL fees. New Member fees for the 2021-2022 Junior League Year are $97.50. This fee includes: JLL dues of $29; AJLI dues of $17.50; $21 to cover the cost of refreshments at GMMs (excluding meals); and $30 for the New Member Training Course.
The New Member year culminates at the last GMM of the year in May during a celebration with the entire Junior League of Lansing when New Members are inducted as Active Members of the JLL.
After their New Member year, Active Members are expected to complete the following requirements:
- Placement: Every Active Member of the JLL serves in a year-long placement. Placements range from working with volunteer organizations, fundraising, and administrative tasks likes finance and public relations to web design, event planning, and more. Members are given input regarding their desired placements after learning about the various options open to them during their New Member year.
- Done-in-a-Day Project: All Active Members complete one DIAD—a 4-5-hour long service project that is typically completed in one morning or afternoon. In the past, the JLL has offered DIAD options including volunteering for Habitat for Humanity, Haven House, MSU Safe Place, Ronald McDonald House, Sparrow’s ‘Women Working Wonders’ event, St. Vincent Catholic Charities, the Volunteers of America Soup Kitchen and more.
- General Membership Meetings: As previously noted, Active Members of the JLL attend monthly GMMs from September through May (except in December). There are also a number of optional social activities offered to members throughout the year.
- Annual Fundraising: Each Active Member of the JLL is responsible for selling and/or purchasing the equivalent of five raffle tickets to benefit our annual fundraiser. Raffle tickets are $20 each (for a total of $100). This fundraising requirement can be met in a variety of other ways too, including obtaining donations or sponsorships at various levels.
- Fees: Annual dues for Active Members of the JLL are $130 for the 2021-2022 year. This fee includes: $65 for JLL; $43 for AJLI; and $22 to cover the cost of GMMs (excluding meals). Dues are typically due by the end of February and are subject to slight adjustments each year.