Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Junior League of Lansing!
Developing the Potential of our Members
We are proud to say that our members are not only leaders in the nonprofit sector, but are also making a difference in the professional and business realm. Junior League members are attorneys, elected officials, business owners, presidents of companies, realtors, mothers and professional volunteers. The training our members receive while participating in JLL activities is a vital part of preparing these women to be leaders of distinction in our community.
I invite you to help carry on the tradition and mission of the Junior League of Lansing by becoming a member. Together we will build a better Lansing community.
New Member Enrollment Period
The enrollment period takes place annually from September to early January.
After the enrollment period, interested individuals are invited to complete the New Member Training Course. Training is provided to all New Members of the JLL because it is our goal to ensure that our newest members have a thorough understanding of how our organization functions. We also want to make sure that each member is placed in a position best suited to her diverse interests, needs and talents.
The JLL’s New Member Training Course consists of:
- New Member Retreat: Our retreat provides New Members a fun opportunity to learn about the impact our organization has on the community and offers them the chance to meet new and current JLL members.
- Monthly New Member Training Meetings: Our New Member class will gather monthly between January and April for training.
- New Member Project: Between January and April, our New Member class will assist in the planning and hosting of one of two events. The JLL’s ‘Kids in the Kitchen’ event, which is part of a nationwide effort led by the Association of Junior Leagues International aimed at educating children about healthy eating and fitness habits or the JLL’s High Heels and High Tea event held to raise funds that support our local efforts.
In addition to completing the New Member Training Course, New Members are asked to attend General Membership Meetings between January and April. GMMs, which are attended by all Active Members of the JLL, include dynamic speakers, updates on the group’s activities, refreshments and the opportunity to socialize with members of the organization.
Note: The Junior League of Lansing’s schedule runs on a school-year calendar, so our GMMs are held from September through May (though some committees meet during the summer months to plan for the upcoming year.
Finally, all New Members are asked to submit JLL fees. New Member fees for the 2019-2020 Junior League Year are $97.50. This fee includes: JLL dues of $29; AJLI dues of $17.50; $21 to cover the cost of refreshments at GMMs (excluding meals); and $30 for the New Member Training Course.
The New Member year culminates at the last GMM of the year in May during a celebration with the entire Junior League of Lansing when New Members are inducted as Active Members of the JLL.
After their New Member year, Active Members are expected to complete the following requirements:
- Placement: Every Active Member of the JLL serves in a year-long placement. Placements range from working with volunteer organizations, fundraising, and administrative tasks likes finance and public relations to web design, event planning, and more. Members are given input regarding their desired placements after learning about the various options open to them during their New Member year.
- Done in a Day Project: All Active Members complete one DIAD—a 4-5-hour long service project that is typically completed in one morning or afternoon. In the past, the JLL has offered DIAD options including volunteering for Habitat for Humanity, Haven House, MSU Safe Place, Ronald McDonald House, Sparrow’s ‘Women Working Wonders’ event, St. Vincent Catholic Charities, the Volunteers of America Soup Kitchen and more.
- General Membership Meetings: As previously noted, Active Members of the JLL attend monthly GMMs from September through May (except in December). There are also a number of optional social activities offered to members throughout the year.
- Annual Fundraising: Each Active Member of the JLL is responsible for selling and/or purchasing the equivalent of five raffle tickets to benefit our annual fundraiser. Raffle tickets are $20 each (for a total of $100). This fundraising requirement can be met in a variety of other ways too, including obtaining donations or sponsorships at various levels.
- Fees: Annual dues for Active Members of the JLL are $130 for the 2019-2020 year. This fee includes: $65 for JLL; $43 for AJLI; and $22 to cover the cost of GMMs (excluding meals). Dues are typically due by the end of February and are subject to slight adjustments each year.