Done in a Day
Each year, the Junior League of Lansing (JLL) participates in a variety of community service events lasting one day or one weekend. The League refers to these initiatives as “Done In A Day” projects.
During the 2013-2014 year, the JLL will donate money and/or volunteers to the following events:
- Ele's Place 5K, took place on Sunday, July 28th, 2013
- St. Vincent Operation Backpack, took place on Monday, August 26th, 2013
- Sparrow W3 (Women Working Wonders), scheduled to take place on Sunday, September 8th, 2013
- Caring About Kids, scheduled to take place October-November 2013. There isn't an actual day for this DIAD. It take place between mid-October through just before Thanksgiving with participating League Members shopping for and wrapping gifts for area foster children. There will be a planning meeting for this event on Tuesday, September 17th for the 4 League Members who are co-chairing this DIAD and a few other League Members loosely involved in this DIAD
- Special Olympics, scheduled to take place on Friday, November 22nd, 10am-3pm; Saturday, November 23rd, 8am-9pm; and Sunday, November 24th, 2013 from 8am-1pm.
- VOA Painting Project, due to take place sometime during the fall months of 2013 (September, October, early November). Actual date to be determined
- Haven House Dinner & Youth Activity Project, due to take place sometime during the fall months 2013 (September, October, November). Actual date to be determined
- Allen Neighborhood Project, due to take place in the spring months of 2014 (late March, April, or early May). Actual date to be determined
- Girls on the Run 5K, scheduled to take place on May 18th, 2014;
- Ronald McDonald House Dinners, due to take place in the winter months of 2013-2014 (late December 2013, January 2014, or February 2014).
If you would like your organization considered for a Done In A Day project for future years, contact our Done In A Day Chair or the Junior League office.
Other Community Service Projects
Kourageous Kids - This program offers families with children suffering from various cancers, as well as other life threatening illnesses, the opportunity to live a fantasy through portraiture. This program gives children the chance to have their photos taken with costumes, stuffed animals and other child-like creations while taking their minds off treatments and hospitals. Both of these programs are designed to raise awareness about the diseases as well has empower and embolden the powerful women, children and families who battle them.
Mittens for Michigan - The Junior League of Lansing is partnering with Jackson National Life and Lunch with a Purpose to collect mittens and other winter items such as hats and scarves. Items will be collected from December 1st through January 21st and all items collected will be donated to area charities to be provided to individuals and families in need in the Lansing area. The project is also a competition between the Junior League chapters throughout Michigan to see who can collect the most mittens and other winter items for their community.
Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure - The Junior League of Lansing regularly helps with the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Volunteers will have several different opportunities to help including: data entry prior to the event, decorating ribbons for the event, and help with registration and other tasks as needed on the day of the race.
Book Drive - March is Reading Month and to celebrate the Junior League of Lansing will be collecting new and gentlely used books to be donated to children in need in the Lansing area. We hope to collect enough books to give each child at a Lansing area school a book to encourage reading during spring break and the summer vacation. We also hope to provide some books to the Capital Area Literacy Coalition as well.